With Halloween quickly approaching, many families are coming up with creative ways to save money instead of splurging on seasonal decorations and one-time costumes. Fairfield Funding has developed a list of our favorite ways to save money during this festive time of the year!
1) Check out thrift stores and children’s consignment sales: Instead of going to your local costume shop or party superstore, brainstorm a few ideas and head to your closest second-hand store to purchase your Halloween get-up! Many consignment stores offer all types of clothes at extremely low prices, so you can freely alter your costume without worrying about wasting money!
2) Look for grocery store ads to save money on candy: Pay attention to the advertisements and coupons offered up in your newspaper! There are almost always seasonal buy-one-get-one promotions for Halloween candy that can save you a significant amount of money.
3) Shop online ahead of time to save money on Halloween decorations: It’s not too late to order decorations and other party supplies from popular online stores! Also, for your spooky soundtracks, check out all of the free online radio channels to add an extra-eerie touch to your setup. Check out Live365 for a list of free spooky stations.
4) Check out party supply superstores for discounted items and costumes: While Halloween superstores can be overpriced, it is worth it to check them out for last-minute bargains in the days leading up to October 31st. There are usually sections that are greatly marked down in order for the stores to move merchandise before the big day.
5) Organize a costume swap with friends and family: This is a good idea, especially for families with several younger children who will quickly grow out of their costumes. Invite other families over for a “swap party” where you can trade your old outfits out for gently used items. It is a great way to be festive and save some money at the same time!
6) Utilize social media: Connect with local organizations on Facebook in order to find yard sales and connect with your community to find local, and sometimes free events for your family.
By adding a few of these tips to your Halloween to-do list, you can become a money saving ninja in no time! You may never pay full price again. Halloween is a fun time for the entire family—it shouldn’t have to be a burden on your pockets!